29.12.11

DIY Glitter Pumps

I loved this tutorial on making your own glitter heels! I just had to share it with you! I found the following directions and pictures HERE.

~s. nicole



We love pumps. We love sparkly things.  So it shouldn’t be a surprise that we would love sparkly pumps!  Glitter pumps are all the rage right now in the fashion world and we couldn’t be happier. We found a great tutorial on just how to do that Jenni of Pixie in Pumps created and we’re thrilled to share it with you:


You’ll Need:
- Extra Fine Glitter
- Mod-Podge (I used Gloss-Lustre)
- Pair of Shoes – Sand Paper
- Bowl
- Paintbrush
 - And something to cover your work surface (tinfoil)


You should probably sand the shoes just to make sure that the glitter and glue can adhere to the shoes as best as it can.  I didn’t actually have sand paper and rather than waiting until I got some… I used a nail file.  It did the job just fine, so there you go.

Next I sorted through the glitter I bought to decide which colors I wanted to use.  I decided on a few goldish tones, silver, and a little of one of the reddish tones.  That’s the beauty of DIYing these shoes instead of buying them.  This way you can make them whatever color you’d like instead of settling for the colors that the designers have decided on.

Just mix the glitter together in whatever combination you’d like.  I wanted a platinum color with a little bit of a darker gold tone when the light hit it just right, so mine was mostly a mixture of the gold and silver with the reds and darker golds thrown in as low lights.  There really isn’t an exact measurement for any of this.  You just have to sort of use your best judgment.  As you can see I mixed the glitter first and then added the Mod-Podge, but I’m sure you could do it the other way as well.

Once you’ve mixed in the Mod-Podge just start brushing it on the shoes.  I wasn’t sure how to do this exactly.  I brushed it on it kind of thickish strokes, and in hindsight I probably should have done it in thin coats and then let it dry and added a second.  I also think I might have used too much glittery because it started to get a bit clumpy towards the end.

And VOILA! That’s it!  Seems fairly easy, right?  You can even go back over them with a coat of just Mod Podge to kind of “seal” them if you like.  Jenni, the Pixie in Pumps, said that they have withstood normal wear and tear just fine and are even puddle proof!  So, you can buy the Louboutins for $600, or with a little work and a lot less money- make your own!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...